Castle Carpignano

TOURISM: what to visit
Fiastra Abbey nature reserve                                                                                           
Urbs Salvia archeological park
Sferisterio of Macerata
Frasassi caves
Sibillini national park
Conero national park
Rancia's castle
Pallotta's castle 
Museums
Marche museums
Tolentino museums:
  1. International Museum of Caricature
  2. Peasant Culture Museum
  3. Archaeological civic Museum
  4. Christ's Nativity Museum
  5. Aristide Gentiloni Silverj Archaeological Museum
  6. Historical naturalistic Museum
  7. Sanctuary Museum
  8. Parisani Bezzi Palace
  9. SS. Cuore di Gesù Fraternal Order Museum
  10. Archaelogical collection

 

Events
Tolentino 815
City to visit
San Severino Marche
Tolentino
  1. The Basilica of San Nicola
  2. Municipal building
  3. The Clock Tower
  4. The Palace of Sangallo
  5. The Cathedral of San Catervo 
  6. The Churc of San Francesco
  7. The Palace Bezzi-Parisani
  8. The Churc of Sacro cuore
  9. The Nicola Vaccaj Theatre
  10. The Churc of SS. Crocifisso
  11. San Giacomo Auditorium
  12. The Churc of Santa Maria
  13. The Churc of the Carità
  14. The War Memorial
  15. The Diavolo (devil)  bridge
  16. Fiastra's Abbey
  17. The Castle of "La Rancia"
  18. The Santa Lucia thermal baths
Macerata
Porto Recanati
Recanati
Civitanova Marche
Numana
Loreto
Cingoli
Pioraco
Visso
Serrapetrona
Camerino
Sarnano
Caldarola

 

TOURISM: What to visit
Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve

www.abbadiafiastra.net

The territory of the nature reserve presents the typical morphology of fluvial areas, and it is characterized by the valleys where the river Chienti and the river Fiastra run. The flora and the fauna of the area are very interesting, since they include some species which are typical of the hills of the Marches region and species which are rather rare in Italy.


 
The Urbs Salvia archeological park

www.urbisaglia.com

 

The archaeological rests of the the city Urbs Salvia represent the most relevant monumental and archaeological complex in the Marches . Besides it fully concords with the definition of Archaeological Park estabilished by the D.L.29/October 1999,n. 490 according to which this expression we have to describe a "territorial section characterized by important archaeologi­cal evidences together with the presence of envi­romental, historical and landscape values...". The interest in this area manifested quite late; it occirred when the state domain bought most of the area enclosed in the ancient walls of the city, which is the premise and the starting pointforthe constitution of a "Archaeological Park of Urbs Salvia". The inervent of the state has determined the recent opening of the State Archaeological Museum of Urbisaglia, set in the center of the modern city. The archaeological Park of Urbs Salvia is also inside the natural Reserve of Fiastra Abbey, aknwledged as "Natural Reserve of the State",where we find important traces of the human intervent in the territory as the Cistercian Abbey of S. Maria of Chiaravalle in Fiastra of 1142, the eighteenth century palace of Bandini Princeps, and the numerous granges spread on the area.The archaeological Park covers an area of about 40 hectares situated among the S.S. 78 and the villages of Convento in the South and that of Maestà in the North. 

Sferisterio of Macerata

www.sferisterio.it

 

The sferisterio was constructed between the years 1820-29 to the designs of Ireneo Aleandri and is one of the most highly renowned neoclassic structures in Italy.
Within the spacious columned semi-circle there are 104 divided stage boxes, and between the arena and the boxes 7000 spectators can be seated for the anual event of Opera Lirica held every summer.

The Sferisterio is a kind of an open-air stadium or sphaeristerium in Macerata, Italy.
An ancient Italian national sport or pallone col bracciale was the most popular sport in Italy during almost 5 centuries. This game dated back to the 15th century. The people of Macerata decided that they needed somewhere large to play and watch it; a place that could also be used for public spectacles such as circuses and even bull fights. One hundred citizens raised the money themselves, and got Ireneo Aleandri to design and build it. The design involved the destruction and rebuilding of some of the historic city walls next to the Porta Mercato gate.
The strait side of the arena is a wall 18 metres high and 88 metres long, along which is a line of arches separated by 56 columns carrying a double row of boxes, and a stone gallery, all in Neoclassical style.
Over the years the popularity of pallone decreased and that of football replaced it. In 1919 the surface was levelled to allow for this, and also for tennis courts. The arena had been used for the occasional theatrical event from 1871, but from about 1914 opera began to be put on there.
In 1921, as the first presentation of what would become the Macerata Opera Festival, Pieralberto Conti staged Aida paid for by the soprano, Francisca Solari. This was followed by all parts of the arena, both front- and back-stage, being renovated and electricity introduced.
Today it holds an audience of over 3,000. The stage is 14.5 meters deep and 40 meters wide, with 10 meter wings each side of that. It is rather a strange shape for musical performances (musicians at each end of the pit cannot hear each other) but the acoustics are surprisingly good (at least near the middle).

Frasassi caves

www.frasassi.com

 

The hypogeum complex of the Frasassi Caves represents one of the most fascinating and majestic underground routes in the world. The tourist route, which is equipped and easy to access, lasts approximately 70 minutes and extends over 1.5 km.
Visitors, accompanied by professional guides, can experience the thrill of a hidden and beautiful upside down world, made of breath-taking scenery, rich in extraordinary concretions, where the silence is broken only by the dripping of the drops of water that bring the constantly changing complex to life.
The caves are open to the public all year round, except on the following days: 4 December, 25 December, 1 January and from 10 to 30 January for the biological stop.
The temperature inside is a constant 14° C. We recommend you wear a pullover and comfortable shoes. 
Sibilinni national park

www.sibillini.net

 

A mountain chain rising in the heart of Italy and reaching Mt. Vettore (2,476m). A territory where the magic of local nature, history, and culture have contributed in defining a unique and unrepeatable reality. Here, in the kingdom of the mythic Sibilla, the Parco Nazionale Monti Sibillini was established in 1993 (with over 70,000 ha), with the aim to safeguard the environment, promote a social and economic sustainable development, and favour the creation of a "Park suitable to everyone". The wolf, the golden eagle, the peregrine, and a number of endemic species are the most evident elements of a biological richness which, along with the charm of the abbeys and of the Medieval historical centers lying in a crown at the foot of the mountains, have shaped an old and suggestive world where time has stopped to honour a reality of extraordinary beauty.

Conero national park

www.parks.it/parco.conero

www.parcodelconero.eu

 

The only relief (572 meters) overhanging the sea from Trieste to Gargano, in symbiosis with the towns of Ancona and Camerano, and with the sea resorts of Sirolo and Numana, mount Conero is the heart of the homonymous Regional Park. 

Monte Conero, a paradise in the south of Ancona, is truly unique. Here you'll find rock caves and white limestone cliffs totally unlike any other of the Adriatic, from Trieste in the north to the southern "spur" of Italy, the Gargano - a much more Mediterranean experience. The panoramic road winding along the coast offers a spectacular view of many pebble beaches. The area is a regional natural park and a web of signed trails up to the peak. On the top, remains of Palaeolithic settlement dating back 100,000 years have been discovered - the earliest signs of human presence in the region.

The Monte Conero massif (572 metres on the sea-level) leaves an impressive mark on the coast and is characterized by its unique flora and fauna. The institution of the Park dates back to 1987 and its aim is to protect on safeguard nature. Its position half way up the Italian peninsula has made it an important meeting point for many species of northern and southern European maritime flora, including rarities like Bellevalia dubia, Fumana arabica and Aspodeline liburnica. The park boasts over a thousand species of wild plants, as well as a rich bird life. And if that's not enough, the views and panoramas over the sea are stunning.
It's an environmental oasis that extends over 5800 hectares of protected areas, (Portonovo Bay, the Two Sisters ("Due Sorelle") beach, North Belvedere, Piangrande, Raggetti Plain, etc.). There are 18 escursionistic tracks which unfold between Broom bushes and Arbutus Berry trees, the shade of pines and holm-oak trees, all part of the magic of the Mediterranean bush. In addition there are great treasures of art (Santa Maria of Portonovo and San Pietro of Conero), culture and history (Roman archaeological sites), not to mention specific geologic itineraries.

Rancia's Castle

 

A few kilometres far from Tolentino lies, solitary and impressive, the Castle of “La Rancia”. The castle, which can be easily seen from the highway, was built in 1357 by Rodolfo II Varano, Lord of Camerino, on the site of a pre-existing building, a tower-house belonging to a small landowner. Rodolfo Varano’s aim was to build a fortified farm on the model of the Cistercian ones (“grance” from the French grange - “barn, cereal store”) belonging to the nearby Abbey of Chiaravalle di Fiastra. Hence the name “Rancia”.
The keep and few other elements are all what is left of the original medieval building. The Castle of La Rancia, which is a square structure consisting of battlemented wall reinforced by two square corner
towers, was maybe surrounded by a moat crossed by a drawbridge. It has been, over the centuries, the site of numerous battles where many important historical figures took part, such as John Hawkwood, Lucius von Landau, Braccio da Montone, Nicolò Piccinino and Francesco Sforza.
It was also the scene of the Battle of La Rancia between the Neapolitan army of Murat, who wanted to unite Italy, and the Austrians. The battle, which is considered the first battle for Italian Independence, took place in 1815 (2-3 May). This event is commemorated every year at the end of April, when hundreds of figurants come to Tolentino from all over Europe to take part in a successful historical evocation.

Pallotta's castle

www.castellopallotta.it

 

The Pallotta Castle makes the whole town to look unforgettable: from the top of the hill it dominates with the armony of a Renaissance building, which has replaced the modest dwellings where once a feudal castle stood. We do not have any precise news about the castle's origins. The entrance is through Porta Camerte closed by a massive gate. Once you have passed by the first courtyard with the communication-trenches, the portcullis at closure of the entrance and the machicolation, you find yourself in a rather dark hall; in the left lobby you can admire a 1845 fresco. From the hall you enter into an room where the carriages, the harnesses and the arms are kept. By crossing the draw-bridge you get into the park, where one of the oldest pinetree of the region stands high. On the main floor, among the numerous fully furnished rooms, the dining-room is the most interesting: it houses a rich eighteenth-century pottery and Bohemia crystals collection. 

The Pallotta family was charged in 1450 by Niccolò Mauruzzi da Tolentino to restore the castle of Caldarola. 

Jacopo, a military engeneer, who, already in 1460, was able to rebuild all that went destroyed during the wars, came from a family of Norman architects and soldiers arrived in Sicily with Goffredo di Buglione in 1100. In 1296 Guglielmo Pallota, captain of mercenary troops, held the defence of the bridge of Brindisi almost alone against the French, armed only of a three-balls sledgehammer, whose image later stood out on the family's coat-of-arms, granted by Bonifacio VIII. Along the centuries the family had four Cardinals (Evangelista 1597, Giovan Battista 1666, Guglielmo mid-1700, Antonio 1847). It is mainly to Evangelista, appointed Cardinal and Prefect for St.Peter's vestry-board by Pope Sisto V, to whom Caldarola owes its architetonic flourishing and its typically systine-like structure. At the end of the eighteenth century the count Desiderio, heir of the architetonic taste of his family, set forth to rebuild the damaged parts of the castle, restoring it to its ancient military character. 

City to visit
San Severino Marche

Situated in the Potenza Valley, at the foot of the Montenero Hill, one finds San Severino Marche, a small town, just 26 kilometers away from Macerata. In addition to the tranquility of the location, travelers will enjoy visiting the many buildings linked to the town's Medieval and Renaissance past: the charming Piazza del Popolo, Palazzo Municipale, Palazzo dei Governatori with its Clock Tower, Palazzo Servanti Collio, the Church of St Maria delle Misericordia, the Cathedral, the Church of St Lorenzo in Doliolo.Then there is the Archeological Park in the Pieve area with the remains of the Roman city Septempeda. The principal Museums in San Severino Marche are the G.Moretti Archeological Museum and the Tacchi Venturi Art Museum, which houses a number of masterpieces, including Pinturicchio's "Madonna della Pace" and Frescos by Vittore Crivelli and Niccolò Alunno. 

Tolentino

                   what to visit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                  what to visit

Tolentino in the heartland of the southern-central Marche is a thriving medieval town set in rolling hills. Pilgrims come from across Italy to visit the shrine of St Nicholas of Tolentino.

Even if you don't have any favours to ask of him, visit his handsome Basilica to marvel at the grandiose Giottoesque frescoes in the Gothic Cappellone di San Nicola - vivid masterpieces of the 14th century. Spare time also to linger in the tranquil Romanesque cloister alongside the church.

A Marche saint through and through, San Nicola da Tolentino was born at Sant'Angelo in Pontano near Fermo in 1245. He became a friar in the Order of St Augustine and in 1275 entered the monastery at Tolentino where he died in 1305. Although a noted preacher and pastoral worker, his fame rests on the numerous miracles attributed to his intercession.

History was made in 1797 at Palazzo Parisani-Bezzi in Via della Pace when Napoleon Bonaparte forced Pope Pius VI to sign the Peace of Tolentino in the wake of his successful invasion of the Papal States.

If you enjoy riddles, make for the splendid central Piazza della Liberta' to figure out the multiple clock faces on one of the Marches' oddest Medieval clock towers, including one for the phases of the moon.

If the draw of flying saints, Bonaparte and chronological puzzles are not enough, Tolentino boasts The International Museum of Caricature and Humour in Art in its new home, Palazzo Sangallo. Here you can see some 3,000 works by artists from across the world. The city also hosts the Biennial International Festival of Hunour in Art, one of the most prestigious events of its kind.

There are plenty of other interesting corners to explore in this lively town with no shortage of places for good, simple marchigiani food.

Just east of Tolentino, the swallowtail battlements of the Castello della Rancia come into view along the main road. This solid square castle was built as a Benedictine abbey in the 12th century and transformed into a castle in 1357 for the ruling Da Varano family.

It has been the scene of many battles, the last of which was the defeat of Giocchino Murat, the King of Naples, whose first 19th century bid to unify Italy was thwarted by Austrian troops in May 1815 - the battle is re-enacted each May in a colourful event with hundreds of extras. The castle has been recently restored and opened to the public (1000-1230hrs and 1600-2000hrs, closed Monday).  


Macerata

For centuries now Macerata has been considered the Italian city where the quality of life is superior to that of almost any other town. It is a town of great culture and rich in age old traditions. Among the sites of certain interest to the tourist: the Sferisterio Arena, the Lauro Rossi Theatre, the Loggia dei Mercanti, Palazzo dei Diamanti, the Museum of the Carriage, the Palazzo Ricci Museum, Porta Montana, the Archeological area of Helvia Recina. The religious buildings of particular interest are: Macerata Cathedral, the Basilica of St. Maria della Misericordia, the Church of St. Maria della Porta. Prominent among the many popular traditions are the Festa of St Giuliano and the Saltarello, a performance of traditional dances linked to various regions of central Italy. The gastronomic tradition of Macerata features dishes such as lo salato, la pizza co li strisci, le olive strinate, i vincigrassi, i tajulì pilusi, la polenta con la sapa, il pistacoppo, la fava ngreccia. Local wines of great quality include the Bianco Colli Maceratesi and the Verdicchio di Matelica. 
 

Porto Recanati

Nine kilometers of beaches, shining waters and warm ospitality, everything inserted on a landscape of exception: the Monte Conero

The southern part of Porto Recanati still preserves the remains of Potentia, a roman maritime colony founded in 184 a.C. and abandoned in V cent. d.C.; the nearby abbey of S.Maria was instead founded in the XII cent. The history of the actual city begins in the 1299, when Frederik II ordered the construction of a castle and of a port in between the two rivers Potenza e Aspio; the castle was completed in the XV cent. (then destroyed and rebuilt many times), while the big port remained always a utopia. In the XVI cent. the city changes its name to Porto Giulio, in honor to the pope Giulio II - and during this period was built the church of the Banderuola, where in 1294 the Holy House made a halt in its translation into Italy. Always linked to the city of Recanati, Porto Recanati reached authonomy only in 1893. A note of interest goes to the Picture Gallery Moroni. The court of the castle hosts today the Arena dedicated to Beniamino Gigli, place of numerous events and manifestations.

Porto Recanati has been a bathing resort for more than one century. Being situated at the seaside with the marvelous frame of the Monte Conero it offers the tourist the possibility to spend serene and relaxing holidays. To those who come to visit her, she presents herself as a lovely town of fishermen with the sea being the natural place of relaxation and holiday. The beach promenade, completely closed to the traffic, invites you to take relaxing walks among the typical houses in every minute of the day. Numerous traditional events contribute to render Porto Recanati a city even more pleasant.

Recanati

In Medieval times, Recanati was an important city and still preserves numerous monuments from the period. The city is famous as the birthplace of Giacomo Leopardi, the poet, who described it as "natio borgo selvaggio". In tribute to Leopardi, there are the Piazza Leopardi, Palazzo Leopardi, the Leopardian Museum and the National Center for Leopardian Studies, these later have greatly increased the cultural importance of Recanati. Other places to visit: the Tower del Borgo, Palazzo Comunale, the Beniamino Gigli Art Museum which includes memorabilia of the famous tenor, the Church of St Domenico and the Diocesan Museum. Within easy reach of Recanati, are the well established seaside resort of Porto Recanati and the Archeological Park of Santa Maria at Potenza. Events worth seeing include Giugno Recanatese and the Fair of San Vito, the Celebrazioni Leopardiane and the Sagra della Frittella. 

Civitanova Marche

Sited a few kilometers away from Macerata, Civitanova Marche is an expanding and flourishing business base for shoe manufacturers, fishing enterprises, and the tourist industry. Its sand and pebble beach draws a large number of visitors to the town. In the old part of Civitanova Alta, one can enjoy visiting the Medieval center with its 15th century walls and Modern Art Gallery. Any tourist itinerary should include: The St Marone Sanctuary which is built on the site where St Piceno was martyred. Close to Civitanova Marche, at Montecosaro, one finds the Abbey of St Maria with Frescos by Andrea da Bologna. Local events include Marche a Tavola and Millimarche, dedicated to military accoutrements.

Numana

Numana is a shelter where to relax and have fun, in a dream-alike environment.

Ancient port of Piceni tribe (remains of this period are preserved in the Antiquarium), Numana was included in the Athens routes from the Vth century, becoming a famous market and a trade center to sort Greek goods out, towards the inland and the middle Adriatic sea. Roman colony and then "Municipium", fall down in the Middle Age because of earthquakes and sacks. In the 15th century was under Ancona Bishop Government. In the last ages, from humble fishermen village is got a modern vacation centre, preserving a good balance with the historical part. Numana is also one of the most equipped port for sailing and boating. Town's symbols are the Tower, a monument which origins are unknown still today, and the Costarella, a popular alley getting in summer a natural setting for pictorial exposition. Mention must go also to the Sanctuary of the Crucifix, preserving a legendary wooden crucifix.

Numana is in the heart of the Conero Mountain Park. The inhabits divides it into two sections: Numana Alta (upper) the oldest part of the town lies on the hill, and Numana Bassa (lower), the more recent part of it, which includes the port and the cost until the ward of Marcelli. The beach is gravel to the north of the port and is sand, wide and more easily accessible in the south of it. From the green gardens it's possible to have a stunning view of the landscape, as much as from the other view-point, the balcony of the tower. Pocket handerchief fields and Mediterranean underwoods spread beside the coast. The Conero mountain frames this suggestive landscape.

Loreto

Loreto is situated on a hill top, between the Valleys of the rivers Musone and Potenza. The city is known worldwide as a destination for numerous religious pilgrimages. The Sanctuary of the Santa Casa, which offered hospitality to Jesus of Nazareth is sited here and has become the town's main attraction. In addition to visiting the Sanctuary, inside which one finds art works by great names such as Bramante, Baccio and Pontelli, tourists should not miss seeing the splendid Piazza della Madonna, Palazzo Apostolico, the Art Museum and the 16th Century Bastions. The town is still home to many craftsman and women producing silverware, religious souvenirs, brier pipes and musical instruments. Events of interest to the visitor include the International Cappella Musical Review, Settembre lauretano, and the Festa della Venuta della Santa Casa. Loreto has many a treat in store for even the most demanding of palates. Featuring among the gastronomic traditions the vincigrassi, a dish prepared according to a recipe dating back to the Jacobean period.

Cingoli

A windy walled town built on a hill that receives the last rays of the sun when all around is in shadow; "non e' ancor notte a Cingoli", (it's not yet night at Cingoli) goes a popular Marche saying, meaning, "don't count your chickens before they're hatched".
The place has also earned the title "the Balcony of the Marche" for its sweeping panoramas - the best views are from behind the church of San Francesco. Climb up Corso Garibaldi to Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, once the forum of Roman Cingulum and still the heart of this stone-built town.
To one side stands a fine 16thC Renaissance town hall with a much earlier clock tower. Inside is the smart, newly arranged Museo Archeologico with interesting Bronze Age lumber - to see the collection call at the library (Biblioteca comunale) in Via Mazzini 1. The library also houses the town's Pinacoteca, or art gallery, with another of the region's serendipity collections of paintings by Lorenzo Lotto, this time a splendid Madonna of the Rosary.
Cingoli's brief moment of glory came with the one-year papacy of its son, Pius VIII, in 1829; it was he who ordered a new facade for the late Baroque Cathedral on the main piazza, never finished due to his early death. Behind the town hall is hushed Via del Podesta', Cingoli's most atmospheric street.

Pioraco

Pioraco is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Macerata in the Italian region Marche, located about 60 km southwest of Ancona and about 40 km southwest of Macerata. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 1,252 and an area of 19.5 km².[1]
Pioraco borders the following municipalities: Camerino, Castelraimondo, Fiuminata, Sefro.

Visso

This small town is one of the architectural delights of the southern Marche, yet it is so far off the tourist track as hardly ever to excite much interest.
Driving through Porta Santa Maria, we enter Piazza Capuzi, an intimate triangular square of medieval stuccoed buildings, with both rounded and pointed gothic arches and stone corbels, presided over by the Palazzo dei Governatori. Across the way, to the left, in the adjoining Piazza Martiri Vissani is the splendid Romanesque-Gothic collegiate church of Santa Maria, its beautiful main portal flanked by two carved lions.
Inside the church, you'll find a gigantic 14th century fresco of Saint Christopher with an almost pagan stare to it, which looms up nearly to touch the coffered ceiling. Admire also the Romanesque baptistery in the rear corner of the nave with a pair of magnificent 14th century carved stone sarcophagi.
Back in the square, several shops sell cured meats for which this area is famous. These include the soft pork salami, ciauscolo, , and coglioni di asino (donkey meat and called coglioni (testicles) only because of the shape).

Serrapetrona

A visit to this pretty small town has a special bonus - an opportunity to taste the sparkling red Vernaccia di Serrapetrona. This is normally a sweet dessert wine but it is also produced in a drier secco version.

Camerino

Poised on a ridge between two river valleys, this small but impressive hill town on the border between central Marche and Umbria boasts not only a bishop but also a university.
Its centro storico , or old centre, has seen little change over the last few centuries, leaving it a particularly attractive sight, and the opulence of the architecture is all the more impressive for the fact that the town can claim a mere 8,500 inhabitants.
The town's venerable history goes back to Neolithic times. The Romans, Goths, Byzantines and Lombards all left their print on the place and under Charlamagne it was made the capital of the Marca of Camerino. 
Its heyday, however, was under the feudal lords of the Da Varanno family, who in Renaissance times seemed to be related to all the great noble families of Italy. Things came to a sticky end, however, for the last of the Da Varanno rulers, Giulio Cesare - he and three of his sons were strangled in 1512 under the orders of the infamous Cesare Borgia.
Most of Camerino was built during the enlightened rule of the Da Varano family between the 14th and 16th centuries when its court drew artists and scholars from across Italy.
The narrow main street takes you from the town's fortress to the principal square, Piazza Cavour, around which stand the Cathedral, the Archbishop's Palace and the Ducal Palace, now the University. Over it all watches a fine statue of Pope Sixtus V dating from 1587. 
The porticoed courtyard of the Ducal Palace is partly attributed to the great 15thC architect Baccio Pontelli. From it leads a splendid balcony with great views of the Sibillini Mountains.
The grand architectural complex of San Domenico, built between the 13th and 16th centuries, has been restored and now houses a choice collection of works from the Camerino School of painting.
Another of Camerino's gems is the Teatro Marchetti off the courtyard in the Palazzo Comunale. Built in 1856, it has recently been restored and put back into use.

Sarnano

The bustling spa town of Sarnano lies roughly half way between the two provincial capitals of Macerata and Ascoli Piceno. Its waters are claimed to be beneficial for a whole gamut of complaints, including gout, arthritis and liver complaints.
The modern town is overlooked by its quiet, rather austere, medieval borgo, topped by two solid towers, which has been left very much alone by the modern-day development. A steep, winding street leads up to a beguiling little square, Piazza Alta, flanked by the church of Santa Maria Assunta and the town's medieval municipal buildings - Palazzo del Popolo with its finely decorated Gothic-Romanesque portal, the Torre Civica, the Palazzo dei Priori and the Palazzetto del Podestà. The more recent Palazzo Municipale, half way down in via Leopardi, houses a small art gallery which includes a Madonna and Child with two angels by Vittore Crivelli, younger brother of the more famous Carlo.
The town has several hotels which provide a convenient base camp for exploring the Sibillini Mountains. A good wide road winds up from Piazza della Libertà, in the modern part of the town, through beech wood coppices and limestone crags until, after about twelve kilometres, it reaches Sasso Tetto, one of the Marche's main ski resorts, and well equipped with ski lifts and accommodation.

Caldarola

As with so many other Italian towns, Caldarola is inextricably linked with the fortunes of one family. The Pallotta family produced four cardinals and reached its heyday in the last decade of the 16th century when Cardinal Evangelista Pallotta transformed the family castle into his summer residence.
The family still own the castle, now open to the public (open 1000-1200hrs and 1500-1800hrs, closed Tuesday and Friday). 
The splendid Collegiate Church which stands nearby also dates from this period. Several paintings inside are by members of the De Magistris family, important local painters who lived here in the 16th & 17th centuries.

Museums
Museums in Marche

www.museionline.it/subsites/marche/

 

Events
Tolentino 815

www.tolentino815.it

 

Every year, 2-3 May, the municipality organizes " Tolentino 815" , a customed historical  reconstruction of the Tolentino's  Battle , to which they participate figuring and passionate from all Italy and Europe in order to reconstruct the battle between Gioacchino Murat and  Austrian army troops.. 

The Tolentino 815 Association, in cooperation with the Municipality of Tolentino , organises a historical re-enactment event of the Battle of Tolentino, as occurred the 2 nd and 3 rd of May 1815 between the Neapolitan army of Gioacchino Murat, King of Naples, and the Austrian army led by the Baron Frederick Bianchi; considered by many historians as the first for Italian Indipendence. 
Tolentino was caught at the crossroads of Italian national history: the beginning and end of the french-italian era, between a decline of papal power (Treaty of Tolentino signed on 19 February 1797 between Napoleone Bonaparte and Pope Pio VI ‘s representative) and the origins of the Italian Resurgence or “Risorgimento” (Battle of Tolentino). 
The manifestation held once a year since 1996, is at the Castle of the “Rancia”, and the Tolentino town center, on the first Sunday each May;it alternates between battle reenactmens and a display of historical military groups. 
Reenactement members of historical italian and foreign groups take part with the uniforms, arms and equipment of the age, as they conduct parades, manoeuvres, military drill and simulate the fighting between the armies. 
“Tolentino 815” is a unique historical military re-enactment in central Italy . 

The even interested the others towns involved in the 1815 Battle : Pollenza, theater of ferocius clashes near the Cantagallo hill; Macerata, headquarter of the Neapolitan army; Colmurano, where general Sailliè, aide de camp of king Murat, was captured. 
All is made even more spectacular with a “cavalry charge” of the 2nd Regimento of Lights - Horse Kingdom of Naples 1815 , a historical reenactment group from the 815 Association, and one of the most numerous groups of it's type. 
This unique iniziative, is of great national and international value, and can be described as a prime example of “living experimental archaelogy”. 

The purpose is to promote a view of culture and tourisme of Tolentino and the surrounding areas; allowing one to re-live the past and know of it, through exacting historical re-enactment, as true as possible, with addition of spectacle. 
The Tolentino 815 Association deals with various initiatives: conventions, meeting, research and publications; it promotes study travel, encounters and exchanges with orgnanizations and entities, both public and private, italians and foreign. 
The objective is the recovery and fruition of the artistic and historical heritage tied to the events, in order to form a Historical Park of the Battle of Tolentino involving Macerata and Pollenza , and a Museum of the Battle and Arms with a related documentary library Center, a photographic section and a diorama, to the Rancia's Castle. 

The programme of the historical re-enactment , rich and dense of complementary happenings foresees the involvement of seceral Authority, Associations, Firms and principally of citizens, it is concentrated along seven days. 
There are events representing and reenacting a part of XIX century life, in its multiple aspects: art, culture, music, gastronomic and recreational ones. The life of the soldier is reconstructed exactly like it was two hundred years ago: organisation, manoeuvres, arms-drill, parades, ration, patrol service and off duty time. Guided tours to the historical camps and the contact with the reenactors, infuse the public with their passion.